Finding the Best Price for My Fix
My colleague, John, at Siegel+Gale, came into my office; he said "I found the best price for my fix."“Your fix?”, I questioned.
John, responded, “Yes, I love those yellow lemon bars that are sold at Pax but the price seems to fluctuate all the time.”
Oh I know what John means I went to Chinatown over the weekend to find dark chocolate treats for $5.00 per lb instead of $10.00. Score, I did find dark chocolate treats for $5.00!
So, John, tell us all about those yellow lemon bars and where are you able to get the best prices?
Ok foodies, where do you get your favorite daily treats for best value?
This will be a fun on going discussion! so comment away...
tags: daily treats, Siegel+Gale, dark chocolate, foodies
2 Comments:
Friends and family are stunned by the shock and awe pricing of New York City. A tub of ice cream? Eight dollars! A gallon of milk? Five dollars! A few pounds of ground beef? 10 dollars!
The standing mentality of non-New Yorkers has evolved over the years, I think, from “That’s where people get mugged!” to “New York? That place is expennnsive” (said slowly to denote lots and lots of greenbacks). My curt reminder to them is: “I didn’t come to New York because it was cheap!”
I’m a total sucker for pastries. I’ve sworn off French fries for life (I’ve my heart to think of) but I just can’t lick bakery goods. Not with their custards, chocolate frostings, flaky, buttery crusts dusted with powdered sugar, or the cookies—warm, cold, or gooey. As luck would have it, I moved recently to New York where I was more than reasonably sure I wouldn’t be leaving for New Jersey to find a decent bakery.
My current fix—which this city is keen on supplying—are the lemon and lime bars sold around town. Sometimes housed in small plastic boxes, they are hefty to hold and surprisingly mild to the taste. The prices are lofty too but, like everything else here, there’s a robust market for them. If you know where to look.
Pax, a great vendor, charges $3.50 + for one of these gems. But they sell them together! How do you choose between lime or lemon, or lemon over lime? Fortunately--like street side dealers of the Statue of Liberty dolls--these things are commodities! I found a cheaper pusher for the sweet bars at only $2 and change, and boy did I stock up!
Besides these bars, the local grocer where I made this discovery also sells a variation of my last fix: M&M cookies that you buy at Starbucks. Important to note, because if there is one other thing about New York that is important to keep in mind when you’re talking pastry fixes: it’s variety.
-jdw
Well put John! So New York is to you about a variey your favorite fixes for the right price.
Do you have any suggestions on where I could find a variety of quality dark chocolate for the right price?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home